Sunday, April 19, 2009

I have foot pain from running in a 5k race. Has anyone had the same symptoms and if so what is the treatment?

I have been running for one year consistently (with no pain). I am 25 yrs old (190 lbs). Three weeks ago I ran in a 5k race. In the 5k, I ran normal until the end of the race. At the end I sprinted as fast as I could for ¼ of a mile. Once the race was over I felt good with no pain. At home, I took my shoes off, took 10 steps and began to feel pain only in my right foot (on the back outside not on the ball) every step I took. I thought I pulled a muscle and didn’t think much about it. After limping two weeks and taking an entire bottle of ibuprofen, I began to feel better and was able to walk without a limp and not noticeable pain. After the two weeks I also played some tennis and with hardly any pain. Today (3 weeks later) I decided to run again (2 miles). Halfway through the run (1 mile) I felt the pain again. My foot again is very tender. Do I need new shoes? Is this Plantar Fasciitis. What about flat feet? Should I see a doctor? Will it ever go away? Please help.

I have foot pain from running in a 5k race. Has anyone had the same symptoms and if so what is the treatment?
You should definitely go see your nearest podiatrist for an evaluation and get x-rays to make sure nothing is broken. It could be a stress fracture or it could be tendonitis. Judging from where it is like the back of the foot (maybe near the ankle), it%26#039;s more likely tendonitis. You need to rest it again, ice, and Advil. New shoes will help a little, but go see a podiatrist to get evaluated. You may need some orthotics to help with your running so that area doesn%26#039;t get stressed or overused. He/she will watch you walk and see how you function, this will determine what type of orthotic and other treatments are necessary. Once it%26#039;s determined what is causing your pain, then yes, it%26#039;ll go away. Plantar fasciitis is more on the bottom of your foot near the heel bone or in the arch.



find

No comments:

Post a Comment