Monday, April 20, 2009

I am training for my first 10k. I can jog quickly in intervals of 2 minutes now. Interval time help?

I am just wanting to be able to jog quickly throughout the race with little walking. I made an Excel spreadsheet of the progress I hope to accomplish and plan on increasing intervals by 15 seconds each day @ 6.1 mph and decrease recovery time by 5 seconds each day @ 3.5 mph.





Is this an unrealistic goal for someone who normally doesn%26#039;t run/jog but has been working up to it for the last few months?





I also have a twisted ankle from a few months back from dancing ballet. Any tips of keeping it injury free? I run with a little Nike ankle brace I found in Academy sports. I have already been properly fitted with running shoes at a specialty running store.





My race is on March 22 in New Orleans. I hope to have an interval time of 13 minutes with a recovery period of 2.5 minutes.





My overall goal is to be able to steadily jog my entire workout and have running sprints for intervals but I%26#039;m not there yet.

I am training for my first 10k. I can jog quickly in intervals of 2 minutes now. Interval time help?
It is not an unrealistic goal infact if you have enought time get much faster. You have plenty of time just try to improve every chance you get. If your ankle tends to bother you as you run, you can tape it up. If it doesnt dont worry about your ankle.





Normally when I train for anything greater than a 5k, I dont use interval timings for the until I can run the exact distance at a fluent pace.





good luck you have plenty of time. And dont overwork your self.
Reply:Congratulations in joining the world of long distance running. A 10K is a great event to run. Working up gradually is a fine solution too, with a run/walk program. Even after 3 years of running I run/walk my long run on Sunday 10:1. Many trainers and web sites offer training programs that include walking. Most Notably www.runningroom.com or www.jeffgalloway.com





The reason why we look at 10 min. instead of the 13.5 minutes that you suggest is that at the 10 minute mark of running that is when the lactic acid start to be produced. So by walking 1 min (or a bit more), you can help flush some of the lactic acid out before it starts to build up. Just that small break can make a big difference.





That does not mean you should not continue through with your plans, because everyone is different and a 13.5 min run and a 2.5 min walk will get you to the end just fine. The beauty of a 10K race is that very little training is really needed to get across the finish line.





With approx. 6 weeks to go, you should be able to run approx 4 miles on your long run. A typical schedule will have 5 days a week running with either 2 days of rest (cross training non running). Were you gradually up your distance over time, this is similar to what you are doing. By run I mean a run/walk of whatever interval is comfortable for you.





You also want to vary your distances through the week. Depending on your comfort level you may want to try to run continuously for those distances. So your running schedule may look like something like this





Week 4


Sunday - 4 mile LSD (Long slow distances) run/walk


Monday – Cross Training (bike, Elliptical, swim, stretch, arobics etc…)


Tuesday – 2-mile steady run


Wed. - Cross Training.


Thurs – 2-mile steady


Friday – rest


Saturday – 2-mile steady





Now over the next 6 weeks start increasing your total mileage by no more then 10% a week. So week 4 we ran 10 miles, Then in week 5 run 11 miles.





Week 5


Sunday – 4.5 LSD


Monday – cross


Tuesday – 2.5 mile steady


Wed – cross


Thursday – 2-mile


Friday - rest


Saturday – 2-mile


Just continue adding 10% per week with the emphasis on adding most of the mileage on to the Sunday LSD run. If your plan is to run just under 10 minute mile then your Sunday run pace should be somewhere around 11 – 11:30 minute mile. The theory is that you are getting your body ready for longer runs and you do this by slowing the pace down.





Now a steady run should be 10:30 min mile. There is no need to run race pace during training. Now if you can handle 2 miles continually I could suggest a tempo run on Wed. instead of cross training. A tempo run would be a run at about 10:15 /mile just about race pace.





Now you ask where race pace comes from, it comes for the race itself, the adrenaline, the crowd and from the heart.





Good luck


Harry


http://thediabeticrunner.blogspot.com



health

No comments:

Post a Comment