Saturday, July 25, 2009

Triathlon?

i was watching a Triathlon recently and became really interested in the sport i want to enter one in my area this seems moderate i know i can complete it Swim 400 meters, Bike 12.4 miles, Run 3.1 miles: but i the website for Illinois didn't specify equipment the thing i need to know is i need to buy a new bike mine is crappy but i don't have a ton of money whats a good cheap bike that would be adequate to race with and if you know this too any suggestions on shoes? Thank you

Triathlon?
First of all, congratulations on finding the sport of triathlon! It is a fun sport, in my opinion. I have done 2 triathlons in my life. The second one I did was very similar in length to the one you have mentioned. As for buying a new bike, why is yours so "crappy"? I mean if you are just trying out triathlons, you may want to just ride what you have been riding. Just make sure that your tires are properly inflated, and that you can shift gears smoothly, and obviously wear a helmet. Some triathlons may require that your bike get inspected the day before the race to make sure it is not a danger to you or the other athletes. Check with the race organizer for all the details. As for shoes, I assume you'll use the same shoes on the bike that you will for the run, right? If so, just use a pair of running shoes. But I would suggest that you tuck the laces into the shoe when you bike, especially on your right foot next to the gear ring because your laces can get caught in the gearing and cause you to crash, so be careful! Remember, the key for you should be to have fun! If you want to get special bike pedals and shoes, go to a local bike store near where you live and ask them for help. Some shoe manufacturers make special triathlon biking shoes that have 1 velcro strap across the top so it is easier and quicker for you to get out of the shoes. Remember, your transistions from swim to bike, and bike to run, are part of the race as well. I hope you have fun and good luck. If you have other questions for me, feel free to e-mail me, you can click the e-mail link on my Yahoo Answers profile.



BIRD

No comments:

Post a Comment