Monday, August 3, 2009

Need some advice on running an 8K?

Hi,


I've never been much of a runner, but I signed up for the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle which is an 8K. Can anyone point me in the right direction about the right ways to train? I got good shoes from a running store---they made me run on a treadmill----- I think this race will be a good start to get on a right path of running on a constant basis


Thanks for any suggestions.

Need some advice on running an 8K?
My suggestion is to practice running. Get outside and learn to jog at a comfortable pace. 8K isn't very far. It's 3.5 miles, more or less. A nice, slow and easy pace should see about 35 minutes for completion. Chicago is generally flat, so you shouldn't face many mountains or big hill.





I suggest go out and run 3 to five miles. If you are able to run MORE then your race, you'll think, "Only 3.5 miles? EASY!"





Running is as mental as it is physical. Good luck!
Reply:I have been running for 8 years now. So, generally speaking, this is how I would do it:





I would strengthen the core: calves, quads, hams, back and abdominal (the "six pack" muscles along with th obleks), chest and arms. But when strengthening these muscles, I would focus more on the muscle endurance not the muscle bulk. For more advice for this, I would consult with a personal trainer. For the running part, I would stay flexible as it helps/contributes to your balance (so do the muscles in your core) but also helps prevent some injuries lik pulled muscles and shin splints. Also, I would try to make up a schedule where you can run for X amount of days and try to have a long run. I would start off slowly, running about 2-3 miles per run for the first week and increase my mileage per week. Make sure you have the following: a good diet, hydration, sleep, a good sense on how to take care of your body, and sleep.





Though I am biased towards Nike as a brand, I would recommend you to go to a running-specific store, like Fleet Feet in Carrboro, NC. They can help you find the right shoe because people buy shoes that aren't necssarily right for their feet, but more comfortable or fashionable. But after you get the correct shoes or even if you haven't, I would go to any major athletics store and ask the sales associates. Clothing is all about the comfort meaning that whatever fits well, feels good as it naturally falls on you, and how it feels and fits while running. Good luck!!! If you have any more questions, email me (just add @yahoo.com to my user name).



computer virus

No comments:

Post a Comment